Kubernetes can bring a wide collection of advantages to a development organization. Properly leveraging Kubernetes can greatly improve productivity, empower you to better utilize your cloud spend, improve application stability and reliability, and more. On the flip side, if you are not properly leveraging Kubernetes, your would-be benefits become drawbacks. As a developer, this can become especially frustrating when you are focused on delivering quality code, fast. The learning curve and management of the object-centric application architecture, scripting and integrations into multiple CI systems and pipelines, and managing infrastructure can all make you less productive. According to a survey conducted by Tidelift and The New Stack, just 32% of a developer’s time is spent writing new code or improving existing code. The other 68% is spent in meetings, code maintenance, testing, security issues, and more.
What if developers were empowered to take full advantage of the benefits of Kubernetes while avoiding the associated pitfalls? A new integration between CircleCI and Shipa may offer exactly that. CircleCI is dedicated to maximizing speed and configurability with customizable pipelines. Shipa is focused on simplifying Kubernetes so that developers can spend more time doing what they do best. The partnership and integrations between both solutions allows developers to leverage Kubernetes and all of the associated benefits, without changing the way they work. Your platform engineering team is able to manage, secure and deliver a powerful Kubernetes platform for the entire development organization to benefit from.
In the video above (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvW13w_2HOs), Shipa founder Bruno Andrade demonstrates the CircleCI and Shipa integration. . Using a simple Ruby app, a developer can deploy to Kubernetes without creating a single Kubernetes object or its related YAML files (a major pain point most developers have when deploying to Kubernetes). With any Git repository, a developer can code, check in, and watch CircleCI and Shipa do the rest. Shipa is able to pick up the deployment from CircleCI, and abstract the entire Kubernetes deployment process from the developer’s point of view.
With the application already running in a GKE cluster connected to Shipa, a developer can add a quick update to the application and check it into a Git repository. From there, the CircleCI pipeline immediately picks up the change, delivers the updated bits to Shipa, and Shipa manages the deployment to the GKE cluster.
As a developer, you will not need to create anything related to Kubernetes. In fact, I feel confident that even someone who is just starting on their Kubernetes journey, with a very basic understanding of it, can get started easily and speed up the adoption process. The deployment layer is completely abstracted, allowing a platform engineering team to manage a robust Kubernetes environment, including all relevant security scans, without slowing down the development team.
Finally, the video also covers additional benefits from the Shipa and CircleCI integration including historical application information, consumption in the cluster, the entire lifecycle, successful and failed deployments, and the ability to roll back to a different version of the application, again, into Kubernetes, without really needing to know how it is done.
It should also be noted that, although the video shows Google Cloud and GitHub in this instance, you are not actually tied to a cloud provider or a Git repository. You can leverage this integration in any single or hybrid type of environment with the provider of your choice. Another great benefit to this powerful partnership between Shipa and CircleCI.